Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Boundless Generosity


I wouldn’t have said so out loud, but I used to think that God was rather miserly with His blessings.  I had read the great stories of how He’d blessed Abraham, Moses, and David, but that didn’t seem to be my story.  My theology told me not to question his omnipotence, and God is indeed all-powerful, but when it came to His work in my life, I used to view God’s blessing more like a lottery… as though a few people are chosen to be deeply blessed by God, but most of us simply are not. My prayer times reflected this belief and I set the bar at a manageable height for God because I didn’t want to be disappointed if my prayers went unanswered.

I couldn’t have been more wrong.  Over the last few years I have begun to experience the Lord’s generosity.   I've seen the Lord provide for the needs of my family and seen Him use our resources to provide for the needs of others.  Still, I did not ask for greater opportunities and blessing, in part, because I did not think God could or would be that generous.   

Somehow God caught my attention… it’s as though He was asking “Can you see the horizon of my generosity? Can you find the end of it?  How much can you trust me for Ray?”

When God introduced Himself to Moses in Exodus he described himself as "The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin."

The LORD is generous in His compassion, grace, patience, love, faithfulness, and justice. The spectrum of God’s character is revealed to us through the prism of His generosity. God is not simply patient; He is slow to anger and gracious. God does not simply love; He is love itself burning and boundless. 

Is it possible that God might invest so much of Himself in you and I that His generosity would begin to mark all facets of our character?

Reposted in part from Arrow Leadership "Lead On Fall 2010 issue"

No comments:

Post a Comment