Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Dignity Thief

Recently I was approached by an old man with a gray beard who asked me if I could spare some change.  We were in the middle of a food court in a large shopping mall.  I said "No, I'm sorry I can't help you".

Then the man walked slowly and over to another person nearby.  She was reading a book and had earphones on.  The slender old man asked her if she could spare some change.   

When he did, she immediately barked (and that is a kind description) "NO, GET OUT OF HERE"!

Reinhardt Søbye "The Old Beggar"

The old man, who was downcast when he walked up to here shrunk a few more inches. His shoulders seemed to slump below his chest, his head bowed low like a dog caught begging at the table and his eyes fell to his feet as he shuffled away.

It took me a minute to process what had just happened.  Perhaps she was concerned for her safety.  But it was a very public place, with lots of people and security around.  If there was going to be a fight, she looked like she could easily take the old man. No, she was not afraid.

She was mad.  I don't know why she was so angry that he had asked.  Maybe it was because he had asked her for help repeatedly.  Maybe she had a father who had run to the streets to live off of others.  Maybe she was a self-appointed mall officer to drive away needy people.  I don't know.

What I do know is that she robbed the old man of his dignity that day.  Instead of choosing to not give, she chose to take something from him.

Generosity brings joy when it permeates our life.  I'd like more generosity to be present throughout my day as I drive in my car, as I talk with my spouse, and as I meet strangers.

Question: Where could you be 5% more generous?

No comments:

Post a Comment